The Information Technology Services (ITS) department is a centralized service organization dedicated to providing information technology leadership, support staff, training, policies and procedures related to technology, strategies for the effective deployment and utilization of information technology, and assisting Cañada College, the College of San Mateo, and Skyline College, as directed, with local technology initiatives, projects, and planning.
ITS provides information technology leadership, has highly qualified support staff, conducts technology training, develops policies and procedures related to information technology, creates strategies for the effective deployment and utilization of information technology, and assists the three colleges within the District, as directed, supporting their mission, advancing college values, goals, vision and improving institutional
All ITS personnel including those providing desktop support to the Colleges are centrally managed and supervised. This allows ITS to allocate its resources to each College as necessary based on need or based on requirements for specialized knowledge or skills. This also helps the Colleges to seamlessly share technology solutions and best practices to leverage savings and efficiency.
ITS and the Colleges collaborate district-wide, and one-on-one, on decision-making processes and set priorities related to technology. ITS staff participates regularly in various College committees to discuss operational issues and developing project plans for a variety of topics which include technology needs in support of teaching and learning, district-wide communications, research, and other operational systems.
Examples of these committees include:
- Chancellor’s Council
- District Research Council (DRC)
- Enrollment Services Committee (ESC)
- Business and Finance Officers Group (BAFOG)
- Financial Aid Advisory Committee (FACC)
- Distance Education Advisory Committee (DEAC)
- Facilities Planning and Operations (FPO)
- District Safety and Security Committee
- District Matriculation Committee
- Network Advisory Group
- Technology Planning Committee (TPC)
Vision, Mission & Goals
In 2008, the following information technology vision and mission statements were developed. These have been validated as part of the effort to revise this plan and remain appropriate. Each year this plan will be reviewed and evaluated based on what has been completed, changes in the evolution of technology, and what resources might be available in the future. Due to the dynamic nature of planning, each year the vision and mission statement will be reassessed.
The San Mateo County Community District is committed to the effective and responsible use of information technology resources to:
- Enhance and support the teaching and learning environment
- Provide easy access to learning resources and support services
- Facilitate communication throughout the District
- Improve institutional effectiveness by maximizing resources, improving services, and supporting those learning activities that are enhanced through technology
- Improve operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Serve our diverse teaching and learning communities
The mission statement describes the purpose of technology use within SMCCCD, guides the actions of ITS, and provides a framework and context for current and future strategies and goals.
To provide a responsive and supportive information technology environment that is consistent with the mission of the Colleges and the District Office. Information Technology Services (ITS) provides all services and support in a manner that is focused on customer service and satisfaction.
Based on a set of planning assumptions, goals can be developed to meet the current and future technology needs of SMCCCD. Goals are strategic level objectives that are intended to achieve the technology vision, support the technology mission, and ensure that there is alignment with AACJC Standard III. The goals are numbered for reference purposes only and are used when aligning projects to meet one or more of the goals. They are all of equal importance and intended to be viewed equally.
These goals are the same as the ones contained in the IT Plan from 2008. They have been validated as still being relevant to the current environment.
- Continue to enhance and improve the capabilities and functionality of the administrative information systems environment to better serve faculty, staff and students
- Enhance the capabilities and support for the use of instructional technology for teaching
- Continue to improve the information technology infrastructure to provide reliable and high-performance access to network and online services
- Maintain an effective and responsive organizational structure to support administrative information systems and instructional technology
- Provide technology leadership for the many college construction projects currently in progress or planned for the future
- Research and present to the District new technologies that have the potential to improve teaching and learning or enhance administrative functions.
- Collaborate with the Administration of the District and the Colleges to develop and implement a technology replacement strategy for servers, computers, printers, copiers, digital signage, network infrastructure, and so on.
Current Technology Environment
A first step for the development of a Strategic Plan for Information Technology is to determine the status of the current technology environment. This information is the foundation for planning assumptions from which strategic objectives can be identified. The following description has been updated and properly reflects the technology environment at SMCCCD.
ITS provides technology assistance and support in a number of areas:
- Administrative Systems
- Network Services & Infrastructure
- Peninsula Library System
- Construction Support Services
- Instructional Technology and Web Services
- Computers and Media, Service and Support
- Technology Training
- Disaster Recovery Site
- Video Surveillance Systems
- Emergency Contact Systems
- Building Management Systems
- Telephone & Voicemail